The IMPACT Blog is the most honest, unfiltered resource for learning and implementing inbound success at your organization.
Along with the latest actionable advice, tactics, and strategies, we share unique thought-provoking perspectives and personal, real-life stories of the triumphs (and tribulations) that come with growing through inbound. You won't find content more candid.
So, you want to contribute content? Awesome! Let's talk:
Who Can Write for IMPACT?
We're currently only accepting sponsored articles (and a select number of unpaid expert contributions) from individuals at established tech, marketing, or business organizations with a proven track record of creating high-quality, advanced content, or those who are established industry thought leaders with large followings.
If you are not currently with an established organization and have not been personally contacted by a member of the IMPACT team, we will ask that you provide samples of published works you have done in the past as well as links to your social media profiles.
Why Write for IMPACT?
- IMPACT has over 400,000 visits/month, 30,000 subscribers (~7k agencies), and 71,000+ social media followers across our platforms.
- We also have a global Alexa Rank: 29,466 (11,489 in the U.S. and steadily increasing since January 2017)
- IMPACT generates over 7,000 new contacts each month
- We welcome contributors attaching content offers to the articles they share (subject to our approval).
- Rank Higher in Search Engines
- IMPACT has over 296 pages ranking in the top 5 search results for their focus keywords, and 463 pages ranking in the top 10.
- Promote Your Work & Drive Traffic
- Contributors are encouraged to link to content on their own websites (in a useful, natural way of course)
- Establish Yourself as a Thought Leader & Connect
- Contributor articles get the same prominent placement that original articles by our team do.
- Along with a bio, headshot, and links to your website and social profiles, your article will not only give you a chance to share your voice as an expert, but make it easy for readers to contact you.
Authors regularly tell us their posts have helped them gain new clients, new job opportunities, and drive traffic.
Who is IMPACT's Audience?
Our audience is made up of approximately 70% marketing professionals including inbound marketing, sales, and design leaders and aspiring leaders.
These individuals typically own or work for small to medium-sized B2B businesses located in North America, looking to grow the performance of their marketing, design, careers, or organizations as a whole.
The other 30% is comprised of fellow marketing agencies.
What Does a Good IMPACT Article Look Like?
- Content MUST be original and not published or distributed elsewhere.
- MUST be well-written in grammatically correct English.
- Information/advice shared is sound, accurate, up-to-date, and relevant to the audience.
- Shares advanced knowledge; goes beyond best practices, sharing what it's actually like to implement inbound marketing.
- May share stories from personal experiences, including candid lessons and reflections.
- Leaves no questions on the topic unanswered or unaddressed.
- Focuses not just on what, but why and how of the subject matter at hand.
- Supports claims with data and research.
- Sources all statistics or data.
- Includes actionable guidance, tips, or advice so that the reader can actually put the content to use.
- Follows Pareto's principle in terms of self-promotion: 80% of the content is helpful, education, or entertaining, 20% or less is self or sales-oriented.
- Any financial relationships must be disclosed. (i.e. If you are an agency and you refer to a client.)
- Use imagery, charts, graphics, screenshots, etc. to highlight/explain your content as needed.
- All imagery must be compressed to be 100kb or less, or as close as possible without compromising quality.
- Includes a high-quality featured image, 1090px wide and at least 363px tall.
- All contributor articles on the IMPACT website will be tagged as “contributor.”
- IMPACT retains final decision on published content (including headlines, featured images, etc.).
- If content does not safely meet our editorial and quality guidelines, and requires more than light editing, we reserve the right to reject it. Please make an effort to review published content on our website to fully understand our voice and standards.
- Rights of Use: By submitting your content to us, you and/ or your organization will be granting us unlimited rights of use across multiple digital channels including web, social, email, mobile, and PDF. We also retain the right to edit for clarity, tone, and style. Please ensure that you have the right to grant the use for all content and materials that you provide. Please provide copyrights and rights of use for any images used.
- Republishing: IMPACT requests that contributed articles remain exclusive to our site for a minimum of 14 business days, after which time they may only be reposted partially or in full on other sites, if they include attribution and a link back to the original article. (i.e. Including the line: “This content originally appeared as a contribution on IMPACT” hyperlinked to the original source.)
- Contributor must also provide:
- A high-resolution headshot of author (in .jpg, .jpeg format, square)
- Brief bio of Author (no more than 500 characters long)
- A well-thought-out IMPACT article is typically at least 1000 words. Our best performing pieces are usually 1200-2200 words.
- Visual content (i.e. infographics or videos) must be supplemented with a write-up of at least 600 words.
- Titles should be no longer than 70 characters.
IMPACT keeps its content as easy to read as possible incorporating the following guidelines:
- Keep paragraphs short. (Usually no more than 3 lines long, on screen.)
- Use bullets, lists, bolding, italics, headers, blockquotes, etc. to effectively break up and organize your content.
- Include at least 1-3 links to related IMPACT content, 3 external links and related, reliable resources. (Note: This will increase depending on the length of the article.)
- Traditional citation is not necessary -- If you refer to a report, expert, etc, simply hyperlink the text and direct link to the page on which the information appears or to the website of the organization responsible for the information.
Desired articles and suggested titles must be progressive, sharing insight beyond general/introductory knowledge and best practices. Writers are also encouraged to incorporate relevant industry news/current events, advancements, and personal experiences.
Articles should demonstrate unique, tactical insights based upon your hands-on experience or a thought-provoking point of view.
IMPACT strives to cover a variety of marketing and business-related topics that appeal to modern small to medium-sized businesses and their employees. These topics include:
conversational | playful | helpful | knowledgeable | honest
The IMPACT voice is friendly and helpful, yet that of an expert. We strive to share professional, honest expertise, while still maintaining a caring, conversational tone, and readability. Don’t be afraid to incorporate humor, pop culture references, or personal experiences.
We want to share the real experiences of implementing inbound marketing, not just the best-case scenarios shared by other agencies.
We also strive to leave the reader with actionable advice that they or teammate can implement right away.
What Would Get My Article Rejected?
We hold content published on our website (both by our team and by external contributors) to extremely high quality standards.
If your contribution does not safely meet our editorial and quality guidelines, and requires more than light editing, we reserve the right to reject it. Please make an effort to review published content on our website to fully understand our voice and standards.
Your article will be rejected for publishing if it is:
- Poorly-written; Suffers from poor English grammar, spelling, or coherency.
- Unoriginal; Appears on another publication or plagiarizes content of another person/organization.
- Inadequate in length.
- Overly self-promotional.
- Redundant; may be in terms of content shared or writing style.
- Too introductory; doesn't offer advanced knowledge of the subject matter.
- Too technical; please see brand/voice for more information.
- Delivers false information or data.
- Lacks detail; needs to be comprehensive on the subject at hand.
If content does not safely meet our editorial and quality guidelines, and requires more than light editing, we reserve the right to reject it. Please make an effort to review published content on our website to fully understand our voice and standards.
How Do I Submit an Article/Topic to IMPACT?
If you are interested in publishing on IMPACT, please submit your information via the form here for consideration.
If we think you are a good match for audience, you will be contacted in 7-14 business days.
Note: We do not currently accept free guest posts.