If you’ve been in marketing long enough, you know that the only thing worse than searching for a stock photo is searching for holiday stock photo.
The hunt for just the right stock imagery can lead you down a dark, and not to mention cheesy, road.
It seems like the cheesiness only gets worse when the holidays roll around and this Thanksgiving has been no exception.
Today, before you sit down for Thanksgiving dinner (or the tryptophan gets the best of you), I’ve got 13 of the strangest Thanksgiving stock photos I've come across for your enjoyment.
But before we have a good laugh, here are a few tips to keep in mind when choosing your next stock photo to avoid their blunders:
Focus on Relevance: Make sure that your photo makes sense for the article subject matter, audience, and for this day-and-age. The last thing you want to look like in a B2B world is outdated.
Look for Candids: If you’re using photos of people who don’t work actually work at your company, soften the impact of their presence by using candids or action shots. Photos of models staring into the camera feel unnatural and downright creepy.
Avoid Cliches: Cliche photos are cliche for a reason. They’re predictable and blend into a crowd. Opt for something that will differentiate your content and grab the viewer’s attention.
Look Beyond Page One: Like SEO results, this is where everyone is looking and choosing from. So, keep looking. There may be some hidden, undiscovered gems beyond page one.
Look for Text-Friendly or Editable Options: Another way to customize images is through text or light design work. Look for stock photos that will allow this easily.
Now, onto to the turkeys of the stock photo world.
1. Actual Caption: "Funny closeup of smiling male Caucasian medical doctor listening with stethoscope for heartbeat of baked Thanksgiving turkey"
2. Actual Caption: "Man and his pet turkey sitting down to an untraditional Thanksgiving dinner"
3. Actual Caption: "Pilgrim DJ with a turkey mask is in Da House and mixing up some Thanksgiving cheer. Turntables with vinyl albums."
4. Actual Caption: "Woman eating meal at table with live turkey"
5. Actual Caption: "Turkeys turn the Tables on a Pilgrim - A pilgrim tied up on a platter laying on a table. An angry turkey reaching out for a cleaver. A goofy turkey looking from behind."
6. Actual Caption: "Thanksgiving; Pilgrim child pretending to shoot baby dressed in silly turkey costume with a toy rifle"
7. Actual Caption: "Thanksgiving Turkey Running Off of Table..."
8. Actual Caption: "funny dog card"
9. Actual Caption: "Couple standing together in a kitchen with a cooked turkey"
10. Actual Caption: "Pilgrim wearing a toon turkey mask..."
11. Actual Caption: “Funny Housewife overlooked roast chicken in the oven, so she had scorched (focus on chicken), view from the inside of the oven. Housewife perplexed and angry. Loser is destiny! Thanksgiving Day.”
12. Actual Caption: "A Plucked Toon Thanksgiving Turkey wearing a Pilgrim hat hobbling away for his life on Crutches after escaping..."
13. Actual Caption: "pilgrim pimp"
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!
Your Website Needs a Facelift.
Improve your user experience, conversion rates, and more with a website redesign on the HubSpot Website Platform.
Improve your UX, CRO, and more with a website redesign on the HubSpot Website Platform.
GET IT NOW
About Ramona Sukhraj
As Content Marketing Manager, Ramona approaches marketing not only as a profession, but as a creative outlet. She has a passion for all things artistic and strives to create content that is educational, yet quirky and entertaining as well.
With a B.S. in Marketing from the UCONN School of Business, Ramona is a frequent contributor to the HubSpot blog and a nonprofit consultant. Outside of IMPACT, she is a design, movie, and pop culture buff, and a fierce advocate of free hugs.