Head of Editorial Content, Strategized Initiatives That Increased IMPACT’s Website Traffic From ~45K to ~400K
November 22nd, 2018
If you’ve been in marketing long enough, you know that the only thing worse than searching for a stock photo is searching for holiday stock photo.
The hunt for just the right stock imagery can lead you down a dark, and not to mention cheesy, road.
It seems like the cheesiness only gets worse when the holidays roll around and this Thanksgiving has been no exception.
Today, before you sit down for Thanksgiving dinner (or the tryptophan gets the best of you), I’ve got 17 of the strangest Thanksgiving stock photos I've come across for your enjoyment.
But before we have a good laugh or squirm in discomfort, here are a few tips to keep in mind when choosing your next stock photo to avoid their blunders:
Focus on Relevance: Make sure that your photo makes sense for the article subject matter, audience, and for this day-and-age. The last thing you want to look like in a B2B world is outdated.
Look for Candids: If you’re using photos of people who don’t work actually work at your company, soften the impact of their presence by using candids or action shots. Photos of models staring into the camera feel unnatural and downright creepy.
Avoid Cliches: Cliche photos are cliche for a reason. They’re predictable and blend into a crowd. Opt for something that will differentiate your content and grab the viewer’s attention.
Look Beyond Page One: Like SEO results, this is where everyone is looking and choosing from. So, keep looking. There may be some hidden, undiscovered gems beyond page one.
Look for Text-Friendly or Editable Options: Another way to customize images is through text or light design work. Look for stock photos that will allow this easily.
Now, onto to the turkeys of the stock photo world.
1. Actual Caption: "Funny closeup of smiling male Caucasian medical doctor listening with stethoscope for heartbeat of baked Thanksgiving turkey"
2. Actual Caption: "Man and his pet turkey sitting down to an untraditional Thanksgiving dinner"
3. Actual Caption: "Pilgrim DJ with a turkey mask is in Da House and mixing up some Thanksgiving cheer. Turntables with vinyl albums."
4. Vector illustration of a postcard, banner, poster or invitation for Thanksgiving Day with the image of the kitchen and a funny not happy turkey on a platter with vegetables. Comic illustration
5. Actual Caption: "Woman eating meal at table with live turkey"
6. Actual Caption: chihuahua and chicken on the green plate on the white background
7. Actual Caption: "Turkeys turn the Tables on a Pilgrim - A pilgrim tied up on a platter laying on a table. An angry turkey reaching out for a cleaver. A goofy turkey looking from behind."
8. Actual Caption: "Thanksgiving; Pilgrim child pretending to shoot baby dressed in silly turkey costume with a toy rifle"
9. Actual Caption: "Thanksgiving Turkey Running Off of Table..."
10. Actual Caption: "funny dog card"
11. Actual Caption: Oink! Turkey inviting Pig to a masked party and Thanksgiving dinner.
12. Actual Caption: "Couple standing together in a kitchen with a cooked turkey"
13. Actual Caption: "Pilgrim wearing a toon turkey mask..."
14. Actual Caption: “Funny Housewife overlooked roast chicken in the oven, so she had scorched (focus on chicken), view from the inside of the oven. Housewife perplexed and angry. Loser is destiny! Thanksgiving Day.”
15. Actual Caption: "A Plucked Toon Thanksgiving Turkey wearing a Pilgrim hat hobbling away for his life on Crutches after escaping..."
16. Actual Caption: "pilgrim pimp"
17. Actual Caption: high-angle shot of a funny rubber plucked turkey, a party horn, a streamer and some confetti on a rustic surface and the text happy thanksgiving day