Creator's Block #42 [Podcast]: 2 Exhausted Creatives Recap #INBOUND17
Jessie-Lee and I are back this week, fresh off HubSpot's #INBOUND17 conference in Boston. We spent three full days with 21,400+ of our closest friends in the INBOUND community, learning and getting inspired -- so needless to say, we're a little tuckered.
But we're not too tired to talk about our biggest takeaways.
Prior to this year, Jessie-Lee and I had both been to INBOUND more than a handful of times as part of the Quintain team -- this year, however, was distinctly different.
Not only was the tone of this year's conference a departure from previous years, we were there as new members of the IMPACT family. (Oh, and we were named HubSpot's Partner Agency of the Year, which is kind of a big deal.)
For 2017, we didn't go the ho-hum route, passively attending sessions to get a few tactical takeaways to start using back at home.
Instead, we worked. We did live website throwdowns. We were moved by incredible speakers. We crushed some of our personal, big, audacious goals -- and now realize we need new ones. We gained perspective.
Most of all, we learned we don't just want to grow for the sake of it -- we want to grow to be better.
Listen to the Episode
What We Talked About
- Big themes of diversity, inclusion, and positivity.
- Jessie-Lee went to INBOUND to learn... and came home with a mattress.
- Moving beyond the marketing trope of "authenticity" to a new level of self-awareness.
- The importance of growing better, not just bigger.
- How, if you want to stand out, you have to be okay with not fitting in.
- My INBOUND session wasn't a complete bomb.
- That one time I embarassed myself in front of Dharmesh at INBOUND Rocks.
- A tiny rant about buyer personas.
- What we loved the most about INBOUND this year.
- ...and more!
Resources We Talked About
- HubSpot product announcements at #INBOUND17
- Live at INBOUND, The IMPACT Show with Bob and Nick
- "Lady Gaga and Elton John's Amazon Echo"
- What Is a Content Style Guide? (+ Free Content Style Guide Template)
- Resources from my INBOUND talk on Content Style Guides
- IMPACT website throwdowns
- "Braving the Wilderness: The Quest for True Belonging" by Brené Brown
- Brian Halligan and Dharmesh Shah's #INBOUND17 keynote
We Want to Hear from You!
First, subscribe to Creator's Block on Apple Podcasts. Second, have a question or an idea for a future episode of the podcast? Let us know!
- Creator's Block: Twitter, Instagram
- Jessie-Lee: Twitter, Instagram
- Marcella: Twitter, Instagram
- Liz: Twitter, Instagram
Or, you can leave us a comment below! Until next week...
About Liz Murphy
Liz has a single goal: To empower organizations to differentiate themselves as industry leaders through game-changing content. Prior to joining IMPACT, Liz worked for over 10 years in various editorial, marketing and client relations roles for brands including Quintain Marketing, LivingSocial and CQ Press. Outside of the office, Liz lives in Annapolis, Maryland, with her husband and two dogs. She loves public radio, but considers herself emotionally allergic to olives. Liz is also a freelance beer writer and an enthusiastic camper.