Published on April 10th, 2018
We’ve talked about change before in the big, global, life-quaking kind of way. Switching careers. Going to a new company. Starting a family. Moving.
But today, we’re going to address a different kind of change that's specific to the workplace.
Where you’re not moving, changing your life, or pivoting your career by choice. Instead, you’re going about your business one day at work, and suddenly change starts happening to you and around you -- without warning.
These can be little changes, like a new process or a new hire you didn’t expect. Or they can be bigger, like mergers or internal restructuring in responsive to rapid, positive growth.
It’s a bit of a different mental state, because in those moments, it can feel like things that are outside of your control. You were fine with how things were going at work -- or maybe you weren't, but you at least wanted to be consulted on the solution.
The challenge is that even when those changes are good, change, by its very nature, is disruptive. So, your knee-jerk reaction might be one that isn’t totally positive at first.
How to should you handle yourself when moments like that arise? That's the subject of this week's podcast...
Listen to the Episode
What We Talked About
- How we have each handled those well (and not so well) in the past.
- The three types of communication that can help you overcome your negative reaction in the face of change.
- What to do when you catch yourself spiraling emotionally with your team.
- The difference between being disrespectful and providing constructive criticism and feedback.
- Understanding and owning that how you react to situations with within your control.
- How change has been managed at IMPACT.
- Examining the trust relationship between employees and organizations.
Resources We Discussed
- Ep. 39: How to Thrive When Change Happens
- Ep. 61: Complaining About Clients & Playing the Victim
- This "Failure" with Transparency Was Actually a Win. Here's the Story. (by Chris Duprey)
We Want to Hear from You!
First, subscribe to Creator's Block on Apple Podcasts. Second, have a question or an idea for a future episode of the podcast? Let us know!
Or, you can leave us a comment below! Until next week...