Published on December 26th, 2017
Social scientist Brené Brown, PhD., LMSW has a way of sharing her stories and being vulnerable that is relatable and makes you feel a little less alone in the world.
So, when Jessie-Lee and I found out we were going to get to see her speak for a second time at this year's INBOUND conference, as part of her promotion for her new book, Braving the Wilderness: The Quest for True Belonging and the Courage to Stand Alone, we knew we had to see her.
Of course, she did not disappoint.
Even though Jessie-Lee is a self-professed "terrible reader," we both came to Marcella with an idea after our trip to INBOUND. We wanted all three of us to read Brown's new book and talk about it during a nontraditional "book club" episode.
So, whether you've read the book or not, we invite you to listen in.
We each read the book before our recording, but we did not discuss our thoughts or feelings about what we read in advance.
The result was a raw, honest conversation about what scares us, what about ourselves makes us uncomfortable, those moments in our lives where we sought belonging and failed, and more.
Because in a world where there is often such a hyper-focus on "finding your tribe" -- both at work at and home -- I think we realized through our discussion that too many people aren't honest with themselves about how you actually find your own sense of true belonging.
Listen to the Episode
What We Talked About
- Why do we want to belong? And what's the secret to making it happen?
- What's the difference between belonging and fitting in?
- At which point in the book did we each feel the most uncomfortable?
- How do you manage and step away from toxic relationships?
- What happens when the opinion of the populace weighs in, trying to force conformity?
Resources We Discussed
- Braving the Wilderness: The Quest for True Belonging and the Courage to Stand Alone by Brené Brown (Amazon)
- "This is fine. I'm okay with the events that are unfolding currently."
- "Girl, you need to clam down. But I'm an oyster."
- DiSC Assessment: I Personality Review (Jessie-Lee & me)
We Want to Hear from You!
First, subscribe to Creator's Block on Apple Podcasts. Second, have a question or an idea for a future episode of the podcast? Let us know!
- Creator's Block: Twitter, Instagram
- Jessie-Lee: Twitter, Instagram
- Marcella: Twitter, Instagram
- Liz: Twitter, Instagram
Or, you can leave us a comment below! Until next week...