It's not proofreading. It's not formatting. It's not editing.
The hardest part of writing is starting writing.
So hard in fact, that I once wept into a sleeve of Oreos in my college dorm room due to my inability to put words on the screen the night before my final paper was due (not one of my finer moments, but applicable nonetheless.)
I mean, I could whine and moan about my nightmarish relationship with writer's block all day, but what good would that do? There would still be the same amount of work to be done, just less time to do it, right?
So let's save ourselves the pity party. We all know it's no fun.
So next time you feel writer's block on the horizon, read one of these quotes. Scribble down your favorite on a post-it and put it somewhere visible. They're here to inspire.
Beat writer's block with the help of these inspiring quotes:
1. "Useful X Enjoyable X Inspired = Innovative Content." - Ann Handley, MarketingProfs [Tweet this]
2. "Read everything. If you haven't read everything, you'll never be able to write anything." - Lev Grossman, Author [Tweet this]
3. "Don't assume every thought you have is fascinating to others." - Dave Barry, Author [Tweet this]
4. “Stop writing about everything. So many brands create content and try to cover everything." - Joe Pulizzi, Content Marketing Institute [Tweet this]
5. "Above all, discard the irrelevant." - Barbara Tuchman, Author [Tweet this]
6. "Have something to say and say it as clearly as you can. That is the only secret of style." - Matthew Arnold [Tweet this]
7. "Start writing, no matter what. The water does not flow until the faucet is turned on." - Louis L'Amour, Author [Tweet this]
8. "The first draft of anything is shit." - Ernest Hemingway, Author [Tweet this]
9. "The paradox is the more info you give away, the more people will buy what you have to give.” - Brian Clark, Copyblogger [Tweet this]
10. "Editing is everything. Cut until you can cut no more." - Esther Freud [Tweet this]
11. "It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation." - Herman Melville, Author [Tweet this]
12. "Have common sense and stick to the point." - Somerset Maugham, Author [Tweet this]
13. “What you do after you create your content is what truly counts.” - Gary Vaynerchuk, Vayner Media [Tweet this]
14. "Instead of announcing what you are about to tell is interesting, make it so." - William Strunk, Jr., Author [Tweet this]
15. "We have this idea that we need to be in the mood to write. We don't." - Julia Cameron, Author [Tweet this]
16. "Work on a computer that is disconnected from the internet." - Zadie Smith, Author [Tweet this]
17. "Understand voice. Write the same sentence ten different ways by imitating the writing voices of ten different writers." - Po Bronson, Author [Tweet this]
18. "Metaphors have a way of holding the most truth in the least space." - Orson Scott Card, Author [Tweet this]
19. "Write something dangerous. Say something you shouldn’t. Blow something up. But well." - Shalom Auslander, Author [Tweet this]
20. "There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you." - Maya Angelou, Author [Tweet this]
We know that feeling all too well.
Which is why we went looking for tools that could help spark inspiration.
Unfortunately, we found very little.
So we decided to create one. That's how BlogAbout was born (in a nutshell.)
So before you find yourself weeping into a sleeve of Oreos like me, try this.
(PS - If it works for you, let us know. We'd love the feedback...)
Download How To Drive More Traffic To Your Business Blog
Fill out the form below for tips on growing your readership