14 Ways to Stay in Line with Google's Search Algorithm
The following is an excerpt from IMPACT's ebook, "How an Inbound Marketing Agency Does SEO." For more expert tips on what you can do to ensure high search rankings, be sure to target="_blank">check out the full ebook.
When it comes to search engine optimization, Google essentially has a stronghold on the market, making it essential for marketers and business owners all over the world to keep up to date with their search algorithms in order to stay relevant.
But how exactly does one do this?
It's all about keywords, right?
Well, not exactly. Google has made it clear over the last year or so that consistent, quality content reigns supreme. So, if you're not offering your visitors a resourceful experience, don't expect to rank high anytime soon.
Obviously this means more work on your end to ensure you're creating the requisite content in order to provide a valuable experience. Lucky for you, we've detailed 14 ways you can effectively stay in line with Google's search algorithm and ensure you're heading in the right direction when it comes to your search rankings.
Staying in Line With Google's Search Algorithm
- Offer Consistent, Quality Content – There’s simply no better way for creating shareable content than by consistently blogging it. It’s one of the most effective ways for generating inbound links.
- Have an RSS Feed for your Blog – Make it as easy as possible for readers to share your content.
- Build Quality Links – Ever hear the phrase, “you scratch my back, and I’ll scratch yours?” Well, this refers to inbound links on blogs too. Link to other blogs, and you'll expand your network, establish relationships, and receive valuable inbound links from other respected sources.
- Guest Blog – Featuring your content on other industry related blogs is a great way of organically creating inbound links, establishing yourself as a more credible, resourceful site.
- Start Newsjacking – If you become a news source to your readers, you can bet they’ll be sharing your content through their social media or blogs. Not only that, over time you'll notice a spike in traffic and readership.
- Create Free Offers – If your free webinars, Ebooks, or whitepapers are helpful and resourceful, your readers will share it in an effort to help others. Google also values premium content as it provides users with a more helpful, engaging experience and reduces bounce rates.
- Create Visual Content – There’s nothing more shareable than graphics, videos, memes, or any other visual graphic used to illustrate your point. Get creative! This creates value and variety in your content, both of which are valued greatly by search engines.
- Create Memes – These are the new craze! Similar to above, people love a great joke, and a meme is just that. A picture that contains a brief one-liner that uses the picture to illustrate the joke. Brilliant! Relate it to your product or service, and you've found a fun, creative way of promoting your brand and expanding your reach.
- Interviews – If the opportunity arises where you’re asked to be interviewed for another blog or website, do it! This is a great way to generate more inbound links! On the flip side, featuring interviews with other industry experts on your own blog is great for driving traffic and establishing your own credibility. Again...anything that adds value for the visitor is beneficial for SEO purposes.
- “Tweet this” – In blogs that contain lists or stats of any kind, include a “tweet this” button, where a reader can click to automatically tweet on their account. Instant shareability!
- Install Social Sharing Buttons – Having social sharing buttons on all of your blog articles is a great way for readers to easily share it, effectively creating an inbound link. When it comes to SEO, these are the "holy grail." Anything you can do to generate more inbound links from your website will prove beneficial.
- Offer Free Trials or Consultations – Again, you're providing value for the visitors.
- Create Resourceful Lists – If you go through the trouble of creating a resource list, it acts as link bait. Other bloggers will link to it rather than have to write the whole list themselves.
- Create Infographics – Visual graphics have the greatest opportunity for going viral, thereby creating a slew of inbound links pointing back to your website.
About John Bonini
As the Marketing Director of IMPACT from 2013-May 2015, John lead the IMPACT marketing team. He also wrote for the HubSpot Blog, Social Media Examiner, and Convince & Convert among others. In his free time, John enjoys playing guitar, high-fives, and anything with marinara sauce.