You might be shocked if you aren’t effectively optimizing your blogs, website pages and other elements of your site for search engines.
Search engine optimization is the process of making your website more viewable in a search engine’s organic (or unpaid) results page. But you already knew that, didn’t you?
SEO isn’t just about pleasing the search engines. You need to make your website and content user friendly. Those are the people that will be reading your content.
Don’t just stuff your pages and content with keywords. It’s about optimizing each page with unique keywords, as well as ensuring that you are effectively optimizing your title tag, meta tags, and the structure of your URL.
15 Shocking Search Engine Optimization Statistics
Search engine optimization is a great tool to help individuals to find what you’re looking for and what you have to offer them.
With so many changes with search engine algorithms and the behaviors of consumers, you might find some statistics that you didn’t know and others that are shocking.
1. Over 100 billion global searches are conducted each month. (Source: Search Engine Journal) Tweet this Stat!
2. Search is the #1 driver of traffic to content sites, beating social media by more than 300%. (Source: Outbrain) Tweet this Stat!
3. Search and e-mail are the top two internet activities. (Source: Search Engine Journal) Tweet this Stat!
4. Search is the number one smartphone browser activity. (Source: SEO In-House) Tweet this Stat!
5. The search engine industry is estimated to be worth over $16 billion. (Source: Search Engine Journal) Tweet this Stat!
6. 93% of online experiences begin with a search engine. (Source: Imforza) Tweet this Stat!
7. 86% of all Internet traffic is generated through search engines. (Source: iPoint) Tweet this Stat!
8. SEO leads have a 14.6% close rate, while outbound leads (such as direct mail or print advertising) have a 1.7% close rate. (Source: Search Engine Journal) Tweet this Stat!
9. Over 39% of customers come from search (Source: Marketing Charts) Tweet this Stat!
10. 75% of users never scroll past the first page of search results. (Source: Search Engine Journal) Tweet this Stat!
11. Google owns 65-70% of the search engine market share. (Source: Imforza) Tweet this Stat!
12. 70% of the links search users click on are organic. (Source: Imforza) Tweet this Stat!
13. 79% of search engine users say they always/frequently click on the natural search results. In contrast, 80% of search engine users say they occasionally/rarely/never click on the sponsored search results. (Source: Search Engine Journal) Tweet this Stat!
14. 62% of search users click the top-ranking link in SERP results. (Source: iProspect) Tweet this Stat!
15. Facebook shares have the greatest influence on Google search rankings in the US. (Source: Shareaholic) Tweet this Stat!
If your company is not following search engine optimization best practices, you might be losing prospects to your competitors. And who wants that to happen.
Think of it this way … If Google, Yahoo, and Bing don’t like your site, how do you expect your prospects, leads and customers to? Put the extra time and effort into utilizing white hat SEO practices, it will be worth it.