We are Number 1. We are the best in town. We are brand new and better than the other companies.
These are all statements that businesses have consistently made as a point of their competitive advantage. Making these statements, though, is a complete and utter mistake as they have nothing to do with their true competitive advantage. In fact, with comments like the above mentioned will only result in losing customers. Let’s take a look at what can give you an edge in your competitive advantage.
- Talent Comes First — Make no mistake that people want to do business with talented professionals. If you lack the talent then you will end up on the short end of the stick when it comes time for a customer to choose between you and your competition. Remember to promote your talent (both you and your employees) to your audience.
- Share Your Skills — Within your niche, there are a skill sets mandatory to do your job, but there are also those skills that set you apart form your competition. These are the skills that you need to focus on through your marketing efforts.
- Trade Secrets To Help The Audience– Listen, it’s no surprise that there are a significant number of trade secrets that business owners learn throughout their career. These specific trade secrets are now your marketing and promotional material. Make sure that you say something like, “Over 10 years of experience and countless trade secrets to help you build your business today”.
- Increase Your Influence By Using Your Network — Your audience wants to know that you are a trusted source of information and an authority in your industry. You can promote that with mentions of your current network size (especially if it is extraordinarily large). With that said, this is not just a virtual network, but it is also a network of your current (and past) clientele as they have utilized your service(s).
- Speed and Service — Your outstanding speed and service are two of the intangible advantages that you have against your competition. Make sure that you don’t just say, “Faster and more friendly than your competition”. Instead, give specific details: “Immediate and individualized attention with 24/7 customer service representatives available to you Monday through Sunday”.
While this is merely a short list of ideas to help you establish and maintain your competitive advantage, you need to take the opportunity to think about how you promote. The bottom line rests primarily with the idea that your audience will buy from the company with better advantages. So, utilize your competitive advantage to the fullest and promote your company!
If analytics is something that you are interested in but don’t know how to get started, contact us today to schedule your free marketing analysis.
“The Essential Step-by-Step Guide to Internet Marketing”-E-Book
Image Source: HubSpot, “The 2011 State of Inbound Marketing”, E-Marketer.com
FREE eBook: 10 Things You Can Do Right Now to Improve Your SEO
If you’re looking for some simple, but highly effective ways to boost your search engine rankings, be happy you’re here.