Google has controlled the search engine market for almost the past decade. Not only is it important for your business to be found on Google, but it is essential if your company plans on reaching the full potential of your online target audience. In fact, today’s businesses and their respective marketing managers have made being found in Google search results one of the most important aspects of their position, and it’s something that I work to accomplish on a daily basis. However, establishing better local results through Google is as simple as a 5 step process:
- Submit To The Listings Of Google — Google provides a great business service through Google Places. You are able to provide hours of operation, photos, videos, coupons, and various product offerings. But, in this past month, Google Places has added the following: (1) Service Area – you can now show geographic areas that you serve, (2) Advertise through tags, and (3) real time updates.
- Brighten the Beacon Through Directories — One of the best ways for Google to find you is through your use of directories. The easiest way to do this is search for the top 50 free business directories, and submit your information to 5 each day for 10 days. This will make the process easier to complete and less tedious. To start, you can visit www.dmoz.org.
- Research Your Competition — The bottom line to this is that you do not want to reinvent the wheel, but you want to create a better/more efficient wheel than your competition. So, spend a day and research what categories and keywords your competition is using. This will allow you to see what is working for them as well as how you can deliver better quality content. Now that you have that information, you can hammer home user generated unique content.
- Encourage Reviews – You have a unique opportunity with your business in that you can encourage and promote reviews on social media sites. Google has a section in the Google Places page where people can leave reviews and critiques of your services, but it doesn’t end there; City Search is a great place to utilize if you are in a major city, and Twitter is another (more public) place to encourage people to review. My suggestion, though, is to give them some sort of direction (i.e. Provide a specific hashtag to use on Twitter so that you can use that to promote your business as well).
- Back To Basics — Venture back to the basic idea of anchor texts and internal links. Anchor down the locational keywords (i.e. restaurant in Denver with your home page, and utilize those directional keywords). You cannot undervalue the internal links that you create through your own site as well as commenting on other social media sites with your locational keywords linked back to your page.
These quick tips are enough to get your local results through Google to improve, but remember that you always want to be improving on what you already have. So, stay tuned and stop in frequently to see what other information we can produce to help you help your business. And, as always, contact us or leave a quick comment for more information.
If search engine optimization (SEO) is something that you are interested in but don’t know how to get started, contact us today to schedule your free marketing analysis.
“The Essential Step-by-Step Guide to Internet Marketing”-E-Book
Image Source: HubSpot, “The 2011 State of Inbound Marketing”, E-Marketer.com