With over 800 million users worldwide, Facebook has indeed emerged as one of the dominant names in the social media industry. Facebook is a world filled with conversations and relationships. It isn’t just a time waster, an online community for college students or an irrelevant medium for marketers. Rather, Facebook is a tool for engaging and connecting people with those around them. Just like any social media tool, business owners and marketers have this amazing opportunity to expand their brand online and engage directly with their customers. Here is a list of the top 25 Facebook statistics that every marketer and business owner should know about.
- Facebook currently boasts more than half a billion users, with about 50 percent of them logging on a daily basis (Facebook.com). If Facebook is to be viewed as a country, it would be 3rd in population right after India and China, which is up to two spots since the previous year.
- Facebook continues to experience exponential growth and closed 2010 with an average of 7.9 new registrants for every second (SocialBakers.com). Facebook continues to attract more and more users in Asia, Africa and other European countries.
- Facebook users between the ages of 20-30 show the most activity in terms of shared wall posts, quotes, and number of friends.
- An average individual (whether man or woman) has around 130 friends on Facebook. However, women have 55 percent more wall posts compared to men.
- More than 31 percent of users say they’re single, and around 43 percent are engaged, in a relationship or married.
- Around 33 percent of men declare that they are single, compared to only 26 percent of women.
- Women tend to describe themselves more on Facebook.
- The top things shared on Facebook include quotes, music, movies, interests, and TV shows.
- According to eMarketer, around 42 percent of Americans use Facebook and only 7 percent of Americans own a Twitter account.
- The average Facebook user spends at an average of 55 minutes on Facebook, has 130 friends, sends 8 friend requests, clicks the “like” button 9 times, is invited to at least 3 events, drafts 25 comments, and is a member of 12 groups each month.
- Today, Facebook officially supports around 65 languages. More than 300,000 users have helped localize the site through translations.
- Facebook hosts about 1.6 million active pages today. And with this raging statistic, 700,000 are actually pages made by local businesses. The said pages have created more than 5 billion fans.
- Facebook pages share around 3.5 billion pieces of content each week, including blog posts, photo albums, notes, new stories, links and so much more.
- Many Facebook users like food pages. Most pages mention ice cream, chocolate, milk, sugar, and fruit on their posts.
- Every Facebook page has an average of 624 fans.
- Facebook was first bank rolled by PayPal’s co-founder, Peter Thiel. His $500K investment helped launch this social media phenomenon. In its early years, Facebook was almost closed by a lawsuit. One of their competitors named ConnectU, claimed that Zuckerberg stole his idea for Facebook and the technology for making it. The issue has already been settled in court for an undisclosed amount.
- Today, more than 400 million people go to their Facebook profile at least once a month. Around 50 percent are on the site daily.
- Facebook is also considered an international sensation. Around 70 percent of Facebook users reside outside the U.S. and the site is available in more 65 languages.
- Half of Denmark’s population has an active Facebook profile—that is more than 2 million people out of its 5.4 million citizens.
- Facebook is the second highest ranking website in terms of traffic, just behind Google.
- In the year 2006, Yahoo! offered to purchase the site for $1B, which of course was refused. As of 2009, Facebook was already valued to be around $4B and today it is worth up to $11B.
- Today, Facebook has become so popular that a group of psychologists identified a new mental disorder called Facebook Addiction Disorder.
- In some states in Australia, Facebook has already infiltrated the court system. Court notices served through Facebook are legally binding.
- Most users on Facebook like pages involving movies, television shows, books, musicians and athletes.
- The top 10 cities with the most Facebook users include New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, Phoenix, Philadelphia, San Antonio, Dallas, San Diego and San Jose.
So, need I say more?
FREE eBook: What You Need to Know About Lead Generation
Leads are vital to the success of any business. However, many businesses underestimate the time and effort needed for the lead nurturing process. Let us show you everything you need to know so you’ll be ahead of the curve when developing your marketing campaign.